Home   |  About Us   |  Contacts   |  Products    
 News Items
 Top Stories
 News Briefs
 Vatican
 Origins
 Africa
 Headlines
 Also Featuring
 Movie Reviews
 Sunday Scripture
 CNS Blog
 Links to Clients
 Major Events
 2008 papal visit
 World Youth Day
 John Paul II
 For Clients
 Client Login
 CNS Insider
 We're also on ...
 Facebook
 Twitter
 RSS Feeds
 Top Stories
 Vatican
 Movie Reviews
 CNS Blog
.
 For More Info

 If you would like
 more information
 about Catholic
 News Service,
 please contact
 CNS at one of
 the following:
 cns@
 catholicnews.com
 or
 (202) 541-3250

.
 Copyright

 This material
 may not
 be published,
 broadcast,
 rewritten or
 otherwise
 distributed,
 except by
 linking to
 a page on
 this site.

.
 CNS Story:

SAFRICA-XENOPHOBIA (UPDATED) Jul-8-2010 (880 words) With photo posted July 7. xxxi

Church leaders work to stem threatened attacks after World Cup

By Bronwen Dachs
Catholic News Service

CAPE TOWN, South Africa (CNS) -- While human rights activists express fears that xenophobic attacks will erupt in South Africa after the soccer World Cup, church leaders are taking action to see that this does not happen.

A delegation of religious leaders, led by Johannesburg Archbishop Buti Tlhagale, president of the Southern African Catholic Bishops' Conference, raised concerns about the possibility in a meeting with South African President Jacob Zuma.

"We are confident that the security services will act very swiftly if there are outbreaks of violence," Father Chris Townsend, conference communications officer, said in a July 5 telephone interview from Pretoria. "These are rumors and we hope that they prove to be false."

More than 60 people were killed and more than 30,000 people were displaced in attacks on foreigners around South Africa in May 2008.

The National Religious Leaders' Forum, which includes Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu and Ba'hai leaders as well as officials of Christian churches, met with Zuma, Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe and other government officials in Pretoria July 1 to discuss the possibility of xenophobic attacks after the World Cup. The leaders also discussed sustaining the spirit of unity generated by the tournament, moral regeneration, relationships between religious leaders and the government, and other issues.

A week later, Archbishop Tlhagale issued a statement in which he said those tempted to violence must find other means of expressing their grievances.

The archbishop noted that previous attacks had been against foreigners living legally in South Africa.

"It is commonly said that these people take away the jobs of South Africans and that they bring criminal behavior into the country," the archbishop said. However, he added, "Current evidence suggests that the foreign-born are no more likely to be involved in crime as any other part of the population and that they are generally more likely to create employment opportunities rather than take away employment."

The archbishop said it was important that the South African government manage the flow of people in and out of the country.

"It is equally proper that our government, as part of its international responsibilities, open our borders to those who are fleeing persecution and the breakdown of the economy of their own countries through no fault of their own," he added. "South Africa's own recent history clearly demonstrates how such movement can be of long-term benefit to all the countries and people involved."

Father Mike Deeb, director of the bishops' justice and peace department, said his department will run training workshops in dioceses around the country "on how to respond to xenophobia."

Noting that "there has been talk that there will be xenophobic attacks after the World Cup," he said, "we need to find out who is making these threats and get the police involved."

He also said he hoped the Peace Cup, a Catholic-inspired tournament that gives soccer players from different social classes, ethnicities and national origins the chance to play together, would help prevent xenophobia as people get to know each other.

Verona Father Thulani Manana said that Zola Holy Cross Parish, one of the Soweto parishes he serves, organized soccer matches for elderly men and women as well as for mixed teams of boys and girls, "which promoted a unified spirit of celebration."

South Africa's hosting of the World Cup "has unified people in the township" of Soweto, where there had been "a lot of xenophobia," Father Manana said in a report published in the South African Catholic newspaper, The Southern Cross.

"One has a real sense of celebration for the whole African continent," he said, noting that "for the first time, people are speaking openly about xenophobia and all the tensions that went before."

The World Cup "is most certainly a unifying factor with good implications for nation-building," Father Manana said.

Noting huge South African support for the Ghanaian team that made it through to the quarterfinals, Cardinal Wilfrid Napier of Durban told The Southern Cross that the fact that South Africa's national team "didn't make it past the first round perhaps is a blessing in disguise, as I believe it has made South Africans move away from a kind of national chauvinism, seeing the tournament as African and not just South African."

In an editorial, The Southern Cross said that while South Africa has "generated a tremendous amount of good will and respect across the world by welcoming the globe's population to a well-organized and most congenial World Cup," the country "will relinquish much of that respect and affection if the threat of renewed xenophobic violence is realized, as experts in the field warn."

It said that "throughout South Africa, refugees and migrants have been told to beware of attacks once the international spotlight turns from the country."

At a late-June meeting of 40 nongovernmental organizations in Cape Town, Miranda Madikane, director of the Scalabrini Center of Cape Town, which works with refugees and migrants, said 68 percent of refugees surveyed at the center reported receiving death threats.

"It is important that the authorities take these threats seriously and that action be taken to address the concerns," Madikane told the meeting, reported The Southern Cross.

Ten million people are estimated to have come to South Africa seeking a better life since apartheid ended in 1994.

END


Copyright (c) 2010 Catholic News Service/USCCB. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed.
CNS · 3211 Fourth St NE · Washington DC 20017 · 202.541.3250